The essential oil of peppermint has been used for centuries for digestive problems, sinus and respiration and more. It's most often used to support the digestive, nervous, and respiratory systems, as well as muscular and joint health. It's very cooling to the skin, which may be too tingling for sensitive skin or children.
It promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing and alleviates stomach upset. The essential oil of peppermint is uplifting and rejuvenating to the heart and mind. It helps a person rise above stress, pain, sadness, or fear, and regain the sense of zest and joy for Life and their role in it.
Precautions of Essential Oil of Peppermint
Be aware that peppermint can cause the eyes to water, even when the oil is near but not in the eye. Use with caution if you're pregnant or nursing as oil of peppermint can decrease lactation (if this occurs try fennel essential oil to increase). Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible. Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization. Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose. Not all oils are created equal, so test brands carefully, and never use an oil in a way not recommended by its maker.
Popular Uses of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Rub on the stomach or take internally for occasional digestive discomfort.
- Add a drop of Peppermint to a homemade chocolate shake for a yummy twist.
- Rather than grabbing an unhealthy snack mid afternoon, re-energize by applying Peppermint to the palms of hands and deeply inhaling.
- Use a drop or two on your temples to help enhance mental clarity.