Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus x paradisi), a lesser used but very potent and therapeutic oil, is created by cold-pressing the rind of the fruit to extract the oil. There's a reason eating a grapefruit for breakfast was a long-time weight loss fad. The oils in this fruit are incredibly beneficial to the metabolism. The aroma of the oil is clean, fresh, a little bitter, and of course, citrusy. It helps to cleanse and purifies. It's beneficial for oily skin issues and support healthy metabolism, as well as helps reduce mental and physical fatigue.
Precautions of Grapefruit Essential Oil
As with all citrus essential oils, avoid contact with direct sunlight for 12+ hours after use. Grapefruit is said to NOT interfere with prescription drugs (particularly statin drugs) that interact poorly with the fruit or juice of grapefruit, but it's still advised to consult with or notify your doctor. Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible. Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization. Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose. Not all oils are created equal, so test brands carefully, and never use an oil in a way not recommended by its maker.
Commonly Uses of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Diffuse to sharpen focus while studying or reading.
- Apply to insect bites or minor irritations. For sensitive skin, dilute with fractionated coconut oil.
- Apply to fatigued or sore muscles and joints.
- Diffuse or apply topically to help clear congested areas.
- For performance Stress, add to bath water, drop several drops in your water, diffuse, or massage over the solar plexus to balance the sense of self.
- Add 2-3 drops to a glass of water after a night drinking to support the detoxification systems of the body.