Frankincense essential oil (Boswellia frereana, Boswellia carterii, and/or Boswellia sacra) is a tree or shrub that produces a gum or resin that can be steam distilled into an essential oil with HUGE health benefits.
The aroma of frankincense is uniquely warm, deep, rich, and incense-like. It helps to build and maintain a healthy immune system, promotes cellular health, reduces the appearance of scars and stretch marks and it's calming and soothing to the skin.
Precautions of Frankincense Essential Oil
Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible. Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization. Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose. Not all oils are created equal, so test brands carefully, and never use an oil in a way not recommended by its maker.
Commonly Uses of Frankincense Essential Oil
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening or working to promote joint health.
- Can help promote youthful, radiant–looking skin and slow the signs of aging by reducing the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and balance mood swings.
- Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
- Clear confusion by diffusing throughout the home, adding a dab to the shirt collar, or massaging behind the ears.
- Add a drop to steaming water, place a towel over your head, and inhale until the steam stops. Massage into the pads of feet and the toes for mood support.